4.17.2010

Terrapin Rye Squared



Terrapin's Rye Squared. I've been wanting to try this beer since last year but I never got around to it. It is the limited release, Spring seasonal from the Terrapin Brewing Company in Georgia brewed in the style of a Double IPA with the addition of malted rye. It is a hefty 8.5% abv.

I learned to love rye beers after indulging, on several occasions, in the Captain Smith's Rye Ale from the Titanic Brewery in Miami. Since I moved out of Miami I have been longing for a good rye beer. I was hoping this would be it, since I tried Terrapin's regular Rye Pale Ale a couple of months ago and was not impressed at all. You can see that particular review here.

So here we go. I pop off the cap and pour in it a standerd pint tumbler. It is a clear, dark orange-amber color and it gives little head. The smell is an almost even mix of caramel sweetness and citrus hop. Where's the rye? I detect a hint of spiciness, buried somewhere under the hops and malt.



Tasting it brings the same question back into my mind - Where's the rye? I get resinous hop up front with a somewhat heavy malt middle - sweet, caramely and almost cloying. Major hop oil bitterness rides a wave of rich sweetness down your throat. Ah yes, there is a hint of rye back there.

To be fair, the rye came out a lot more as the beer warmed up, in the taste and the smell. So did the malt flavors, which were pretty strong to begin with.

For an 8.5% beer the alcohol is very well hidden. You do get a bit of warmth coming back up after a sip or two, but I'm sure that is easier to notice when you are actually looking for it.

This is an interesting brew, and a sipper for sure. In my opinion Rye Squared is a good brew but it is for those who like a heavy dose of hops AND malt at the same time, not for folks just looking for a refreshing rye beer.

I am temped to give it a 1/2 Empty simply because I think a brew name Rye Squared should have a stronger rye presence. But because it is an amped up imperial ale and not a run of the mill rye beer I will call it a Glass 1/2 Full. The rye is riding in the backseat behind the hops and malt but it is a pretty enjoyable beer if sweeter, maltier brews are your cup of tea. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment