7.07.2009

Leinenkugel's Classic Amber Review

My first experience with a Leinenkugel's beer was not a good one. My significant other and I had a very bad experience with Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat at the Pines Ale House earlier this year (flowers and fruit loops, thanks Atari!), so I was a bit leary when I saw this Classic Amber at my local Winn/Dixie supermarket. But, I figured, how bad can they mess up an amber lager? Besides, it was on sale. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.


At first I thought Leinenkugel's was European. Turns out it's from Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Still, I have a strong feeling that this beer is not very popular among Packers fans.

It pours a light, clear, orange-amber color which was a bit dissapointing. There isn't much of a nose on this beer but what smell it does give off is a typical clean lager smell. There is some subtle malt and some subtle hop and that's about it.

The taste is similar - nothing screams out at you, or even speaks in a loud voice. It just kind of says, "Hi, I'm a beer. Drink me." So I did. It is very smooth and very refreshing but the wow factor is nil. Subtle malt and subtle hop in a crisp yet bland beer. That 100% malted barley and those 4 kinds of hops mentioned on the packaging are nowhere to be found. The head is good though, it receedes but it doesn't die, but it leaves no lacing to speak of.

This is a boring beer. It's better than your standard adjunct lager by far but it is too weak and plain to be called an amber anything. It's easy to drink and it is in no way offensive so I'm calling this a Glass 1/2 EMPTY. Dont bother, there are so many better beers out there. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I went to school in WI and we called it "Leineys."
    It's kind of how I was weaned onto beer - the honeyweiss I could imagine tasted like honey, and the berryweiss sorta tasted like berries. But really? Not very good. I don't think I ever tried the amber, but the picture of it is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach Wallets new must-have collection boasts their original designers' likeness. Bonnie Cashin was famed for her outside coin pockets, and these Coach Hamptons have got those too. The best is the ginormous tote with mini leather flowers and equally mini leather purse on Cashin's shoulder. When I first saw the Coach Luggage Bag, I instantly thought of a flower. What better way to start the spring season, than with a Coach Poppy that resembles a pink flower.
    And what better way to do this then by watching a special ELLERY QUEEN Tribute with pictures and special funeral music? In its simplest definition, a ELLERY QUEEN DVD Video Tribute is a professionally crafted video production ELLERY QUEEN DVD COLLECTION consists of digital images, video, and/or photos of your loved one, which are then combined and played simultaneously with the music or your choice.
    An individual just has to wear a pair of Hogan to know the difference between Hogan scarpe donna products and other brands. The feeling is different, and Hogan scarpe uomo allows the sports person to perform better. But being too specialized presents Hogan uomo fair share of problems.

    ReplyDelete