7.29.2009

Michelob Beach Bum Blonde Ale

Why? Thats the question I have been asking myself since I bought this damned beer.


I bought this beer because when I saw it I was looking for something light and cheap. Plus, since I have been a fan of the new, revamped Michelob line, I figured how bad could this be. (Read more on my thought on the new Michelob line here)



Well, I cracked this 6'er open and learned that Bud is back to their old ways.


I had drank four over the last few days and saved two to drink and review. When that day came I decided to pour them both into my big-ass mug and have one good after work beer. Sadly, I bought this at the same time I had the previously reviewed Newcastle 12 pack, so I had a weeks worth of lackluster beer in my fridge. Oh well, live and learn.


This beer pours a very nice and very clear golden color. Blonde it sure is and it sure looks like a good summer beer. It pours with a big, fizzy head which quickly receedes but does leave some decent lacing.

It smells clean and very, very lager like. There is strong malt and subtle hop in the nose but I find it hard to beleive this is an ale. Now to taste it...

Yes, I have no doubt, this is a lager. This supposed ale was brewed with lager yeast because it tastes like a lager, clean and subdued.
Aside from that, even thought this is advertised as a malt-heavy beer, there are no strong flavors in it at all, not even malt. There is a weak malt presense and there is some hop in the finish but this is a weak, plain, and bland brew. It is thin, the finish is clean, it is decently carbonated and yes, sadly, it has drinkability.

Oddly enough, it seems just right because it looks exactly like the kind of beer the surfer dude on the label would drink. It is very inoffensive and quite refreshing, but this beer is too skimpy on flavor to be sold under Anheuser-Busch's craft line, much less to be called a summer seasonal. As a matter of fact, this had to be the most Budweisery beer I have tried yet from the revamped Michelob line.

Considering I haven't seen the other Michelob beers on the shelves that much anymore, it makes me wonder if A-B/InBev is giving up on their craft beer venture. This beer just does not compare to the other Michelob brews like the Dunkelweiss, Pale Ale, Irish Red, or even Shock Top. Not to mention, that the American Ale seems to be constantly on sale for $9.99 a 12 pack at both of the major supermarkets around here and the Michelob beers have become hard to find. I'll leave y'all to come to your own conclusions.

At the end of the day I call this lager mislabled as an ale a Glass 1/2 EMPTY. It is inoffensive, refreshing and easy to drink but is weak when it comes to flavor. Very weak. There are better summer beers out there. Buy one of those and enjoy. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. fucking cock sucker must of had been sucking on my cock before you left this review you must of had residual honey piss taste in your mouth

    ReplyDelete