6.30.2010

Hercules Double IPA

I usually dont drink IPAs out of a snifter but I'm making an exception for this big brew from the Great Divide Brewing Co. in Colorado. The Hercules Double IPA is a 10% abv monster that currently rates an A- out of 1100 reviews on beeradvocate.com.

This bad boy pours a dark, orange-amber, almost copper color, with a big, frothy beige head.It is hazy and full of sediment.

The nose is a killer combo of aromatic citrus hops and caramel malt. The malt levels are up for this one. Malt sweetness mixes in with fruity notes from the hops - orange along with mango, pineapple and starfruit. Smells good.

When you taste it your tongue is greeted by an intense hop bite upfront followed by rich, malty sweetness across the middle. More hop bitterness appears in the finish- the oily, resinous kind.

This beer is almost as sweet as it is hoppy. I would say it's almost a 60/40 mix. Hercules is a hop-bomb with a sturdy malt backbone to make it incredibly balanced, almost too balanced for my taste. Although at 10% the alcohol is almost perfectly masked. If you didn't tell me this beer was 10% I would never guess a number so high. It drinks about as easy as a rich, high abv beer can. Yes, the complexity of the flavors and overall smoothness make it hard for me to complain.

Even though malty IPAs are not my cup of tea, I feel I would be cheating this Herculean brew if I gave it less than a Glass FULL. It is a tasty, solid, well made, strong-ass, hop bomb, and a MUST for any DIPA fan, even though I don't see myself picking it up again anytime soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment