8.04.2009

Beer of the Day - Fire Rock Pale Ale

Here we are with another impromptu review. This time around I bring you Fire Rock Pale Ale, from the Kona Brewing Co. in Hawaii. I was actually looking to pick up something else but I couldn't find it so I picked this up on a lark. Good move on my part.

I've seen some of Kona's beers around before but they never piqued my interest. As it turns out, Kona is a brewery that needs to be taken seriously. Hit up their website, www.konabrewingco.com, or click the picture below to read what they have to say about themselves and their beer.

click image to enlarge

I enjoyed pouring two of these bad boys into my 22 oz mug. The description on the packaging says this beer is a copper color, I disagree. I prefer to call it an amber, burnt orange color. It looks good though, and it gives a nice finger or so of head. Although it doesn't have the best retention, the head never disappears completely and does leave some nice lacing.

This pale ale has a strong and tasty nose. It's a very appealing blend of malt and citrus (grapefruity) hop with a hint of exotic fruit.

Taste-wise, it goes like this: Hop bite up front, solid malt middle, hop oil finish followed by toasted malt. That combination leaves a short-lived, but well balanced, aftertaste. There is also a touch of buttery biscuit in there as well. The hops are noticeable but rather tame by Pacific Rim standards, which makes this brew more like a hoppier English Pale. A beautiful middle-ground between a classic pale and an IPA.

Somehow, they managed to make this beer taste very (Hawaiian) tropical, with a fruit (pineapple, kiwi, starfruit) aspect that is interlaced with citrus hops.

It is well carbonated and, although it seems a little thin in the mouth, it is flavorful, refreshing and extremely drinkable at 5.8% abv. Have no doubt, Kona makes quality beer. And the novelty of being able to say you had a Hawiian beer is a nice bonus.

I enjoyed this beer but I doubt I will be buying it again, unless it's on sale or if I want to let someone else (like my g/f) experience it for themselves. It's good but those slight fruity notes just don't do it for me. Still, this is a Glass 1/2 FULL and a beer worth checking out. Don't take my word for it, pick it up if you come across it and let me know what you think. Cheers!


The Beer of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment