6.25.2009

Beer of the Day - Avery India Pale Ale

Well, here it is, my first I.P.A. review. To be completely honest, I've been looking forward to this review, even though I wasn't much of an India Pale Ale fan until tonight...

What we have for today's beer is the India Pale Ale from the Avery Brewing Company in Boulder, Colorado. Their website is http://www.averybrewing.com/ for those that are interested.

For those that don't know, India Pale Ales started off as regular British Pale Ales, but in the 1700's a certain style of Pale began to gain popularity with the British troops stationed in India. Some say it was because that style was just popular with the troops, sailors and Indians of the time, while some say it's because beers with higher hop content and alcohol content just preserved better during those long ocean voyages. Either way, because of those long voyages from Britain to India, this style of beer has beer a popular mainstay for over 300 years.

Nowadays, I.P.A.'s seem to be very popular with west coast breweries. Many micro-breweries offer an I.P.A. or two in their line-up. I chose the Avery I.P.A. as my first IPA review mainly because I like their label (it pays homage to the history of the I.P.A.) and because it was readily available at one of my local Winn/Dixie supermarkets. Winn/Dixie's slogan has recently been: "Getting better all the time" and it's no bullshit, specially when it comes to the beer selection.

Now lets get to the beer. It pours a nice amber color with a couple fingers of white, chunky, creamy head. It's a head that never completely disappears and leaves some lovely, thick lacing on the glass.

This beer smells like hops! Floral, orange, grapefruit, sweet & sourness, with a hint of malt under it all.

The taste has a sharp hop bite upfront. It is piney, sour and citrusy, with traces of malt underneath towards the backend. It finishes relatively dry with some hop oil resin on the tongue that leaves a bit of an aftertaste which is not unwelcome.

It is pretty light bodied and is very refreshing and can be downed easily on hot summer day. Just be careful with the 6.30% abv.



India Pale Ales may not be for everyone and they certainly weren't for me a few months back, but for those like me who's palates have broadened and now like hops or for those adventurous souls who are just willing to try, these are quality, refreshing beers that deserve a taste. If you were already a fan of the style then pick up Avery's offering, it is a well put together brew that deserves a try.

This beer is hoppy and bitter but also refreshing and smooth. Avery has done a great job putting together a tasty, easy drinking I.P.A. I call it a Glass 1/2 FULL and recommend it to any beer fan in general or I.P.A. fan specifically. Keep an eye out for it. Cheers!

The Beer of the Day


2 comments:

  1. Nice! Yesterday I tried Avery's Majaraha, an Imperial IPA. It was delicious, but woah, hello hops! I haven't had their standard IPA. The only other Avery's offering I've had is "The Beast" - 16% ABV I think. Yikes.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avery gets a thumbs up from me. Next up for me is their White Rascal, a Belgium style ale...

    ReplyDelete