6.14.2009

Beer of the Day Review - Samuel Adams Brown Ale

First off, let me apologize. This was Thursday's Beer of the Day and I've taken a few days to post the review. But yes, what we have this time around is a beer from the Samuel Adams' Brewmaster's line-up, one I absolutely loved the first time I had it - The Brown Ale.

This is an English Brown Ale at 5.35% abv. Regardless of what I think about this beer now, this is the beer that made me fall in love with English Browns. It is one of the more widely available Samuel Adams Brewmaster's beers, along with the Black Lager, Cherry Wheat and Boston Ale.

Before I begin, I must preface this review by stating that this beer had a freshness date of May, 09, and I bought and drank it in mid June, 09. Hopefully the beer was not compromised by age, if it was I noticed no obvious indicators.


This beer pours a beautiful reddish-brown color, kind of a light mahogany. It smells mostly of nutty caramel malt with a touch of bitterness.

Taste-wise, it's mostly malt again, the toasted/roasted kind, with some biscuit and nut flavors in there as well. It is well belended, with some hops and some biscuit riding strongly on the backend.

This Samuel Adams brew is incredibly smooth and complex with a medium body and light carbonation. It is an easy to drink beer and it is one I will be returning to every once in a while.

As I stated before, I loved this beer the first time I drank it. But now, after having tried quite a few other Brown Ales, I have realized that even though this beer is good, it is not up there with the best Browns. It is well made, well balanced, but still a bit pedestrian. So, with that in mind, I call this beer a definite Glass 1/2 FULL. All Brown Ale lovers should check it out and all Samuel Adams lovers should check it out. Enjoy it and let me know what y'all think. Cheers!


The Beer of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment