5.09.2009

Crappy Beer Alert - Murphy's Irish Red

So, its Saturday and I decide to do an oil change on my car. While I'm out getting the oil I decide to pick up some other things, mainly pizza and beer. I hit ABC to pick up a 6'er that was recommended to me by a buddy and, on a lark, I pick up a can of Murphy's Red. Big mistake.

For those that don't know, Murphy's makes a fine Irish Dry Stout, very much like Guinness, in a nitro-can. My appreciation for the stout had me assuming this Irish Red would be decent at least. Wrong.

1. This beer is not Irish.
2. This beer is not red.
3. This beer is not an Irish Red.

As it turns out, this beer is brewed by Heineken in Holland. That makes sense because it smells just like a Heineken! Pretty much tastes like one too, only with maybe a touch more malt. It pours with a nice fluffy head but it disappears in about 35 seconds, just like it does on a Heiny. The picture above is very decieving, this beer is a little bit darker than a Heiny but nowhere near anything that can be called red.

Look, Killian's Irish Red may be made by, and taste like, Coors but at least it tries to be an Irish Red, in color and taste. Murphy's didn't even bother trying. Mislabled garbage all the way. (To be clear, I am in no way saying I like, or am recommending, Killian's)

With that said, I'll make it my first Glass EMPTY beer review. Even though it's not repulsive or offensive, it's weak and misleading. Reason enough to call this beer 100% crap. Stay away from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment