8.29.2009

Beer of the Day - Redhook ESB

Forgive me, boys and girls, this beer was last Thursday's Beer of the day and I haven't had a chance to post the review until now. So here is my $.02 on Redhook ESB.


I need to stop buying beers just because they're on sale. That's how I ended up with this brew from the Redhook Ale Brewery, which is based in Seattle, although the 6'er I picked up came from their other Brewery in Portsmouth, NH. Now, I'm not saying that it's a bad beer, but buying beer based on sale prices is never a good idea.

For those that don't know, a Bitter is a type of pale ale and an ESB is an Extra Special/Strong Bitter, stronger and darker than a pale. So far, the only other bitter I've been able to sit and enjoy was Old Thumper, reviewed here.


This 5.7% abv brew pours a dark, dirty copper color. The beer itself is very clear and it pours with very little head, what head there is recedes quickly down to a clumpy film that stays for the duration.

The nose is not very strong but it's not bad at all. Biscuity, with a light hoppy twang - citrusy, and with a nice touch of caramel malt underneath. Very pleasant.

It tastes slightly bready with a light hop bite up front. All that rides on a solid malt backbone which becomes more noticeable towards the end and even more so as the beer warms. It is very similar in taste to Old Thumper and Fullers. The finish is slightly bitter, dry and ever so citrusy, but there isn't much of an aftertaste.

I read a review that said this beer was a little 'harsh' on the palate, specially in the finish- I can understand where that comes from. Harshness aside, it is crisp and well filtered, with a medium mouthfeel.

Redhook ESB is not bad and not great. It's a decent bitter, unexceptional but made from quality stuff. There are much better bitters out there but, for the price, I have no regrets. Definitely a Glass 1/2 FULL. Cheers!


The Beer of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment