8.22.2009

Modelo Especial and Ernesto's Taco Shop

I recently reviewed the Mexican beer, Negra Modelo, and was quite disappointed. Ever since, I have had it in mind to try a Modelo Especial, just to be fair and see what the lighter (colored) version is like. Well, last night, the time came.

Ernesto's Taco Shop on Kendal Drive fit the bill for the quick and dirty (and inexpensive) dinner my girlfriend and I required last night. While waiting in line I perused the beer selection and found the standard Mexican fare: Corona, Tecate, Pacifico and the Modelos. Why not? Let me get a Modelo Especial with my nachos, please.

Modelo Especial is categorized as an adjunct lager and it comes in a clear glass bottle, 2 things I'm not a fan of. Regardless, as I sat down to wait for our order I took a couple of long swigs from the chubby bottle the nice Central American man behind the counter had popped open for me. After a long and hot day at work the cold beer went down gloriously.

As is par for the course with adjunct lager, there was an obvious taste of grain apparent from the beginning. Even though I was given no glass to drink out of I could see this beer was a lovely golden color due to the clear bottle. The beer seemed just a slight touch sweeter than your typical Mexican lager and that, along with the cereal grain flavor, was nicely balanced against what I considered to be almost perfect carbonation making it crisp and refreshing.

On its own this beer is no better and no worse that your run-of-the-mill adjunct lager but it does a kick-ass job of washing down some good Mexican food. Not only did I have to get a second beer but I had to take a picture with my brand new phone. Ok, two pictures, and please excuse the messy looking nacho remains on my plate...



Yeah, so the beer is nothing special but Ernesto's is a great little spot for some authentic Mexican food. Plus, it's open 24 hrs. The nachos were amazing and my girlfriend really enjoyed her carne asada quesadilla. I believe their website is www.toomanytacos.com if you're hungry and in the area. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment