9.27.2009

Beer of the Day - Wexford Irish Style Cream Ale (with video)

What's up everybody. I've been backed up again, editing my video reviews on a slow computer gives me less time to work on my written reviews, so today I bring you last Thursday's Beer of the Day.

This is Wexford Irish Style Creame Ale, a nitro-beer I picked up on a lark during my latest trip to Total Wine. It's from Greene King, the same folks who now own and brew Old Speckled Hen, and it's a 5% abv brew categorized as a Cream Ale on Beeradvocate.com with a B- overall out of 251 reviews.

Now, I love nitro-beers and I love Old Speckled Hen (nitro explained and beer reviewed here), so trying this beer was a must. Sadly, my normal reviewing process was disrupted so my review is based on my memory and my video, and won't be as comprehensive as I would like.

We start with the typical nitro-beer pour and the ensuing cascade. The creamy, foamy, frothy head that the nitrogen produces never fails to amaze. This one pours a lovely dark orange amber color, with the nitrogen produced fat finger of mousse like head.

As is typical of nitro-beers, the nose is relatively weak. Oddly, it smells a bit lager-ish, and there are hints of bread and malt in there as well.

Tasting it reveals a smooth, malty and slightly bready quality reminiscent of an English Pale. It is as creamy as expected and there is no metallic taste noted at all, unlike some other canned beers. Surprisingly, there are some hops in the finish, though mild they are certainly present. There is also an unmistakable pear taste in there. It's unexpected but not unwelcome.

This beer was a pleasure to drink but, admittedly, it is nothing out of this world. It is as smooth and creamy as advertised and it tastes good. Not great, though, just good, with no unwanted or offensive flavors to turn you off (unless you don't like pear). With that said, I call this beer a Glass 1/2 FULL, but not by much. A good beer to try out of curiosity or just the desire to have a cream ale, but not something to journey to the ends of the Earth for. Still, it's a must for nitro-beer fans, like myself. See for yourselves and let me know what y'all think. Cheers!

The Beer of the Day


2 comments:

  1. In my childhood, I consider diamond is a stone however absolutely nothing. It would seem so tiny around the ring of my mom. And it isn’t coulorful at all. When I develop up,replica louis vuitton watches, I begin to find out how crucial that transparent stone indicates to women. The exact pure transparency simblises the very promise from a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Wexford Irish Cream Ale.

    ReplyDelete