9.06.2009

Harp Lager

Here I go again with another impromptu review. I knew I was going to be working outside so I picked this up on a lark. Well, actually, the new green packaging caught my eye.

I don't really like reviewing lagers since lagers by nature have less flavor to them, no matter who brews them. But Harp is made by the same Irish folks who brew Guinness so a quality product is expected. Also, while lagers may not be as flavorful as ales, they are just as refreshing, if not more.

This brew pours a light golden color with a finger of white rocky head which recedes to a film rather quickly. It has the typical lager smell (or lack of smell), light hop, light malt, plus a hint of something vaguely Irish.

Tasting it you get a mild hop hit up front followed by a simple and subtle touch of malt across your tongue. The taste of lager yeast is unmistakable but there is also a hint of something else, almost sweet, that kind of reminds me of Irish cream.

All in all this is a very good lager, but it's just another beer on a shelf full of similar, and unremarkable, lagers. It is crisp and clean and easy to drink but that little hint of Irish is a nice touch and about the only thing that sets it apart from the pack. Still, it's a must for lager fans and a Glass 1/2 FULL. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment